Fields of Intervention:
DCI-Mauritania was created in Mauritania in order to promote and defend children’s rights. Therefore, several actions are undertaken in the following priority issues:
- Violence against and abuse of children and women
- Education, information, and training on children’s and women’s rights
- Sexual Violence and Abuse
Current Activities and Projects/Programmes:
In recent years, DCI-Mauritania has carried out inter alia the following projects:
- Numero Vert
DCI-Mauritania launched a free telephone helpline for women and children who are victims of violence and abuse.
- Prevention et Prise en Charge des Cas de Violences Sexuelles dans les Communautes de Nouakchott (Prevention of Sexual Violence in the Community of Nouakchott)
DCI-Mauritania, in collaboration with Save the Children Spain and the financial support of FOCAD, has launched a one year project to take in women and children who are victims of sexual violence. The victims are provided with medical, psychological, social, educational, legal, and socio-economic assistance.
- Workshop on the Protection of Victims of Sexual Violence
DCI-Mauritania, in cooperation with the European Union, held a workshop with the ministry of Justice, preparing a draft project on the protection of victims of sexual violence.
DCI-Mauritanis has been able to protect women and children against sexual violence, through projects such as the aforementioned Numero Vert.
DCI-Mauritanis was able to provide 159 victims of sexual abuse (137 children), with health care and psychosocial support.